Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Decisions 2

Thanks to the people who left comments here and on facebook. I'm still going through identity issues right now, I start thinking one way and then I think another... It's just tough when you know you have very little time to decide... I did a little exploring, and I'm starting to lean more towards interior design as a major.
I know a lot of good friends have been telling me not to go and even asking why, I'm actually still not too sure myself what I should do... I just feel like my reasons for going through the animation program was all wrong... Like many students, I just really enjoyed drawing cartoons and thought this would be a wonderland job (which of course is not). Through my experience, I've learned that drawing well was not something professors could teach you, it's something you must teach yourself and it's something you must dedicate to if you wish to be a professional. It takes a lot of passion and confidence (along with selfishness) in order to go through such a tough program like animation, which is something I'm beginning to lose...
From what I've heard from interior design, it has a balance of art and the idea of constructing something for real life; there's also a little understanding of spacing, lighting, and a passion for building things. Personally, I think that's something I want to do as a career, a little balance with what I enjoy doing (plus I took an architecture class in high school to give me little understanding about drafting). I still like animation, heck, maybe I'll decide by the end of spring that I want to switch back. Though right now I want to at least try this out, and possibly keep animation/illustration as something to do for fun.
Anyway, to all the A/I friends I have gotten to know, I just want to let you know that you've all been great friends, in fact you're all like a second family to me. I think it's really the sad thought of leaving you all is what has been making it hard for me to decide... I will still technically be in the art and design program, so I hope that we can stay in touch. And you never know, if I can pull through this new major, maybe I'll be able to design an animation studio and get to see some of you (that's kind of a dream goal right now).

6 comments:

  1. Hey Hannah, this is Evan. I totally feel what your talking about. This AI program is NOT what I thought I was getting myself into. I'm a computer graphics guy not a life drawing guy. That day Sheldon called me out in class I went home with the mindset that I was done with drawing. I did call a few friends I have in the industry though, and they encouraged me to stick it out...I think for better or for worse that's what I'm going to do because at the end of the day working on video games really is the job that I want.

    I'm not going to tell you to stick around if you feel that being in this program is a mistake, only you can make that decision.
    Just know that you're young and being confused is totally normal, hell when I was your age I was smoking way to much pot and living at home, I had no direction at all! You've got it together compared to a lot of people, you'll do well in what ever field you choose! Well anyways, I guess I'll see you in Maya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had things to say but when I read that interior design might be something you want to do as a career then my opinion doesn't matter anymore. :) I hope you find your dream job whether it's interior design, AI, or anything. Go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hannah im sad to see you go but im happy you found an alternative path that can still make you happy! just keep at your work ethic and you'll be great in anything you choose =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. whatever you choose don't do it because you think it will be easier.
    The AI program is extremely stressful. I too wondered if i should jump ship and did advertising, i got half way through it. but for some reason i stuck with AI. I have no regrets.
    Just because its AI doesn't mean after you get your degree your stuck in a game or film studio. all our grads are all spread out in the art world on the business side and art side.
    In the end find your passion and go for it and it sounds like that's what your doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hannah,i know that whatever you do you'll do great.So keep strong and charge ahead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hannah, i know you're going through such a hard decision. I'm sure all of us in the program thought about it at some point or another. I know i did, i know that this major is not for everyone. It's really tough. With whatever you end up choosing i know you'll do fine with your work ethic. All i hope is you find something you really love and immerse yourself in it. It's never too late to start over and it's not something to be ashamed or regretful about. Hope you find your answer soon hannah we'll all be here for you either path you'll choose!

    ReplyDelete